Tuesday, March 24, 2009

gifts

between gift and present
there's a subtle difference
i feel but can't quite articulate.
Something akin to grace,
it seems to me,
is attached to a gift.

I received one in the mail
yesterday from some folks who
know me only through my blog,
my photographs, and a string of
emails that goes back
a couple of months.

my hyper-articulate friend J
says the best gifts are those
that show that someone knows you.

and by extension, i suppose,
approves of you.

so perhaps the greatest gifts
are pieces of yourself
returned.

one of the best gifts I ever received
was a pile of wooden coins from a
coffee house i used to frequent in
eugene, oregon in the 70s.
coffee was a quarter
but you could buy these coins
five for a dollar and exchange each for a cup.
i went there every morning
for the freshly roasted brew -
your choice of beans ground then and there.

g bought me a pile of those coins,
maybe five dollars worth,
and touched me to the core.

The package i received yesterday
was such a gift.

s and i had been emailing about
travel - AAA triptiks then and now -
what do you MEAN they use google maps???
and i recounted
(in a modest amount of excruciating detail, i see)
a cross country trip in the 70s
for which i wished i had kept the triptik.

you can see where this is going of course.

an old fashioned spiral bound triptik,
the route from NYC to San Francisco
highlighted in yellow - page after page
of my past, plus a map of the USA with
a yellow line across the middle arrived
in an innocent envelope and
completely floored me.

you guys.
thank you.

2 comments:

  1. "Can't quite articulate"? Ha! Your grace with words makes your blog read as though written in italic.
    ----- S

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is there even to add? I believe you have hit the proverbial nail on the head! : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...