Monday, April 20, 2009

april sunday at the met


hugo van der goes, ca. 1470s
portrait of a man

because, despite the bowl cut,
he seems so contemporary,
i've always adored this portrait.



attendent to bodhisattva (avalokiteshvara)ca.13-14c
this gesture always moves me,
his face and stance
an iconic manifestation,
of humble thanks.


i'm saddened
when leaves begin to show
among the white pear petals.
soon they'll snow to the ground
and green will overwhelm...


Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes,
don manuel osorio de zuniga ca.1792

in all the years i've visited the met
i have never paused before this painting
simply because it is so familiar.
image my surprise when S showed me the
prominent magpie in the foreground


the almost-first
robin of spring
bob bob bobbin'
in central park

3 comments:

  1. NOT an oriole. Definitely a robin.
    A day made of gold.
    ----- S

    ReplyDelete
  2. birds~ art ~flowers ~ looks magical
    ...
    elk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I hope you don't mind... I added your blog to my list of favorites. I'm new to the blog world and LOVE your style!

    Thanks,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...