Wednesday, May 13, 2009

wabi sabi



i'm reading a lovely and profound book
by andrew juniper. it is mainly about wabi sabi,
but touches upon many aspects of
japanese culture.





when i first learned about this
japanese aesthetic closely related to zen
i realized that much of what i shoot
and find beautiful can be thought of as wabi sabi.





juniper insists that it is impossible
to translate the subtlety and scope
of wabi sabi into english
yet he attempts it this way:

"wabi sabi is an intuitive appreciation of a transient beauty in the physical world that reflects the irreversible flow of life in the spiritual world. it is an understated beauty that exists in the modest, rustic, imperfect, or even decayed, an aesthetic sensibility that finds a melancholic beauty in the impermanence of things."

andrew juniper, wabi sabi - the japanese art of impermanence

6 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by wabi sabi, too. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found my way here via authorblog.

    Your tiny little image caught my eye.

    What an astoundingly gorgeous blog.

    I will be a most contented visitor.

    Thank you for sharing your wabi sabi aesthetic with those of us lucky enough to find your little oasis here-the music, the soft colors, the fresh "air," and the serene compositions. I think I'll pay a visit when I need to meditate but can't quiet myself down.

    Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been intrigued by the concept of Wabi Sabi. These photographs are brilliant examples. The first image is both simply stunning and stunningly simple. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful images. Seth lead me here and I intend to return x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was led here by Seth's "inspiration" button and here comes Wabi sabi again. I think it is a wonderful sentiment and your photos capture the meaning so well.
    I will continue to check out your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thought provoking post. I enjoy your aesthetic; color, shapes and that beautiful look that comes with exposure. I’ll be back to see more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...