Friday, September 18, 2009

goodbye cheyenne



the cheyenne diner,
corner of 33rd street and ninth avenue,
is no more.

it served it's last club sandwich
more than a year and a half ago
but until this week it stood
where now there's a ragged hole
surrounded by chain link.

it was much like any diner
anywhere. everything was
kind of greasy.
the coffee sucked.
the staff was
usually surly or
distracted.
but it was always there
and kinda cool
and, after all,
you want your fries greasy
or what's the point.




















i took these photos
on october 16, 2002.

4 comments:

  1. A few years ago, I was visiting my artist son who lives in NYC, and he took me to a diner in Willamsburg, and it was a former silver train caboose or some part of an old train. It was unadorned inside, the music was blaring, but the food was good and when I went to use the restroom, it was dark and only lit with candles, one on top of each toilet. I will never forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these photos, and love diners. We're lucky enough to have 3 here in Western MA and I'm thinking we may need visit one of them (Miss Flo's) when you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...