Sunday, January 3, 2010

chilly sunday



nothing for it but to
huddle with coffee and the Times.

brief foray to the
museum of american folk art.
(the modern was wall to wall
tourists.
a few doors down at
the folk art
i was alone
with the guards and
the art.)


columbus circle by vestie davis

the 'approaching abstraction' exhibit,
a collection of mostly nonobjective objects
from the museum's own collection, introduced me
to the exceptionally moving wrapped fiber art pieces of
artist judith scott. (detail below)

4 comments:

  1. A few years ago I was a volunteer at Creative Growth, where Judith Scott made all her work. I used to pick up things- usually bits that had fallen off cars- by the side of the orad on my walk over there. She always used (wrapped) them all, and put her hands in Namaste postion when receiving them. She died when out with the twin who rescued her from confinement after she had been an institution for about 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first image is something one could remove the background and use it part of ones blog or in a collage, as I love the tones and symbolism behind the sculpture.

    Thank you for shaing,
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to have a museum down the road...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the line for the MoMA Thursday afternoon the Folk Museum started to look very appealing to me too!

    Judith Scott sounds like she has a very interesting story. I'm going to check out more of her work...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...