Thursday, August 12, 2010

the mustard incident and a tattoo



now that everything is fine,
now that my vision is blurry
only because my pupils are still dilated
let me tell you how painful it is
to have a glob of
nathan's famous 'the original coney island' deli style mustard
hit you in the eye.

you know that scale they use
to ask how much it hurts?
the scale only goes to ten.
this was, oh, sixteen.

and after i rinsed my eye and rinsed and
rinsed some more and took a shower to let
the water wash over my eye
i had to try and clean the kitchen.
the mustard splashed on every. single. surface.

two hours later, still in pain,
i went online and discovered that
the new york eye and ear infirmary
is a blessedly short cab ride away.

yada yada yada
and a visit from the refrigerator repair guy
to fix the broken freezer and i was on the bus
the next day and this woman sat down in front of me
and her tattoo made my day.

5 comments:

  1. ouch! hope your eye is feeling better! great shot!c

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! how did they treat you for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. first, i hope your eye is now better. i don't want to make light of it.

    second, i wanted to tell you how much i enjoyed the leaps and random moments in this piece. there is such a life-affirming embrace going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well. that happened.

    thank you for your concern:
    i can see clearly now.

    artificial tears, prescription ointment,
    the discovery that my insurance company
    didn't know that i existed,
    prescription drops.
    lots of light flashed in my eye
    and my pupils dilated for
    nearly seven hours.

    now i can see. clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh magpie, your reply comment just screamed for this:

    I can see clearly now, the rain is gone
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun shiny day

    I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
    .....

    Just try and get that tune out of your head now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...