Monday, September 27, 2010

abstract expressionism

that is to say abstract expressionism
through the prism of a wet iphone.


one of the wonderful paintings by bradley walker tomlin

sigh.

i was prepared to provide a small preview
of the amazing show that opens on the 3 of october
at the museum of modern art.

but my iphone fell into a puddle.

does that sound like the dog ate my homework?

no. seriously. my iphone fell into a puddle
as i exited the number 5 bus
on sixth avenue
and waverly
after discovering that i was missing my metrocard
and frantically combing through everything i was carrying.
leaving the iphone pocket unzipped.

it was SO my fault.

i tested it and found i could access the internet
so i didn't discover that the camera was messed up
until i got to the museum and started shooting.
it was hard to concentrate on the work
for thinking how i should get up to the apple store asap.

still, i was seduced by the exhibition
which in addition to paintings
(rothko, pollock, krasner, kline,
frankenthaler, reinhardt, gorky et. al)
includes photography (siskind, frank, callahan, among others)
prints and sculpture.

on the way to the apple store
i discovered that the phone didn't work either.

at the apple store
when we got to the i.d. part of the transaction
they wouldn't let me buy a new iphone
because i didn't have proper
government issued identification.

big sigh. some tears.

went home, got the
requisite proof of my existence,
walked to the apple store
near me. zack, the helpful blueshirt
told me that sometimes if you give it some time
the phone might work again.

i tried it.
the phone worked!
the camera lens is still seriously fogged up
but seems to be clearing.

now i'm going to just chill
and watch mad men
which, if i'm lucky,
my dvr taped...

or is mercury retrograde?

4 comments:

  1. oh dear. i think mercury was in retrograde a couple of weeks ago. it must be because after this terribly dry summer we're simply unaccustomed to dealing with rain and puddles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been told that if you bury it (your iPhone) in a canister full of rice, the rice will absorb any moisture in it. I do not know if this is true, though............just thought I'd pass it along. Hope you get unfogged soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope everything dries out and works again....i love seeing the exhibits from my living room in memphis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? I've just got back to blogging after months of being away and missing your posts to find out you've got a fogged up camera? Oh woe is us!!! Bonne chance mon amie...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...