Sunday, October 3, 2010

the art of craft



i've been to many crafts fairs.

i usually walk among the booths
glancing left and right,
my progress swift with
little to tempt me.

there is a difference, for me,
between craft and craft that is art
and it is art that my eye is always seeking.

today at the columbus avenue
crafts fair i was lucky.
(my pocketbook not so much)

the ceramic work of margaret wozniak
stopped me years ago and i have a delightful collection
of her work. when she shows i always visit to see
what she's been working on and i'm never disappointed.















margaret will be at the fair
next weekend too - oct 9-10
columbus avenue between 77-79 street


new to me at today's fair was the
work of jewelry artist
jill scholsohn


(this one is mine)







check out her website for more (and better) images.
she works with turquoise, sugalite, gaspeite,
coral and silver from hill tribes in southeast asia.
her delight in these materials is evident in her work
which are exquisitely soulful. my only problem was
in choosing a single piece.

she'll be at the fair for the next two weekends.


i also discovered the ceramic work of
stepanka horalkova.
artful craft with wit will lure me every time.
add birds, clouds and typography and i'm hooked.

stepanka will also be on columbus next weekend.






(mine)


(detail of back)


(detail)

2 comments:

  1. since you already have the alphabet tray, i want the bear. the bear and the redhead. i need them both. ... i needed to know about such art, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, dreamy, all of it!!!! thanks for sharing this magic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...