Friday, April 22, 2011

earth day

the first earth day,
and here i'm dating myself f'real,
happened the year i graduated from
college. it was very much
a grass roots event.


so today i cashed in on
the mainstreaming
of earth day. the three companies
responsible for this eco-promotional
largesse didn't even exist on april 22, 1970.

my day began at starbucks (ca. 1971, seattle).
brought my travel mug for free coffee.
tastes better that way.

on to origins (ca. 1990, nyc)
where i turned in an empty cosmetics
container and received
a full size antioxidant cleanser called
'a perfect world'

at whole foods (ca.1980, austin)
bastion of all things organic they
proffered an appealing reusable tote -
recycled plastic i suspect - to carry my
groceries. especially nice since the straps
are long enough for my shoulder.

we've come a long way, baby.
or
what a long strange trip it's been.
take your pick

3 comments:

  1. I remember my first Earth Day, I was in 8th grade at Locust Valley Junior/Senior high school. I remember being disgusted when months later great numbers of students threw out all of their school notebook papers from the year out of the school bus windows... some kind of weird tradition there I suppose.
    xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a junior in college for the first Earth Day, and I remember it well. Good for you for being so proactive today. I did my errands on foot. That was my contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when the first Fresh Fields store opened in the Washington suburbs. It soon became so crowded, they had to move to a larger building. Did they gobble up Whole Foods or vice versa? Anyhow, the Coop that was there long before, still survives.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...