Tuesday, December 13, 2011

material witness at pavel zoubok

hannelore baron

vanessa german

there are only a few days left
to see this show which i've been
meaning to see since it opened
almost a month ago. it closes on december 17.
or you can see it here

hannelore baron

i went because i've only ever seen the work
of hannelore baron in reproduction.


i expected to be moved by baron's work
and was not disappointed but it was
the figures by vanessa german that were revelatory.
contructed of all manner of found object
attached by different means to black doll figures
they are more than the sum of their disparate parts:
beautiful, moving, troubling.






there are also a series of rose-window like
fabric constructions by donna sharrett.
these are lovely but did not move as the other work did.
it can be viewed on the gallery website.

7 comments:

  1. i loved every piece..thank you for sharing

    Nita <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating review of this show. I often find that when I am called to see something like this, it is often a secondary thing that truly moves me, that makes me realize the real reason I was called there in the first place. So it is not the first time I will say I live vicariously through your rich cultural life in NYC and it won't be the first time I say thanks for sharing with us, from your own vantage point, this moving material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour. You are performing a real public service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a spectacular show. I am so sorry I missed it but happy to be able to see it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW-- I am very familiar with Hannelore Baron.. and have seen her work in person and was very moved.. and have several of her books... but I am blown away by Vanessa German and will look for more of her work. have a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came over from Donna Watson's blog. Lovely group of work here, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. would have been thrilled to see this show! and west meets east, too....oh, to be in NYC... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...