Saturday, December 3, 2011

the sublime x2


conversations in clay - west meets east: a collector's perspective,
at the joan b mirviss gallery in new york
features pairings of ceramic works by western and japanese
artists. i had never visited this gallery dedicated
to japanese art and went after reading a brief writeup
in the new york times. the space is serene and the work is wonderfully displayed. you can see the work on the website


best treat for me, though, was a gorgeous scroll
by watanable seitei featuring two magpies in a pine branch.


if only i had $7500 lying around i would find an empty wall for it.

then i went to view the private collection of robert rauschenberg
at gagosian on madison avenue. no photos allowed. sigh.
the man had an eye and a number of genius friends.
a must see if you're in town between now and december 23.

shows like these make everything
afterwards alive with beautiful possibility,
whether the dirty window of a newspaper box


or a napkin on the sidewalk...


but maybe that's just me...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Magpie. Love perusing New York galleries from here in Australia. As a former potter I found the seramics WOW, and as a collector of 'quirky' pieces I really got into Rauschenberg's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked #40, made one like it myself but doubt anyone would pay even $7 for it. thanks for the ceramics eyecandy website link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so fortunate to live in NYC.. I would love to see these shows.. I took a peek at the joan b mirviss website and show.. I will have to go back when I have more leisure time.. I loved all the Japanese ceramics.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...